7 January 2013

Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas


Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas


Visiting Venice after reading and drooling at several photos online and in magazines, it was a real treat to finally have a  weekend in Venice. Walked around for hours taking in the sights, ridding on the water boats, seeing the famous Rialto Bridge, San Marco Square, beautifully decorated building(above).

As much as I wanted to ride on the gondolas, for 80, I decided on this occasion it was not to be. Instead I decided pictures will have to do, until next time. Perhaps,  the cost comes because of the lengths you have to go through to get a licence to be a gondolier. Undergoing lots of training, extensive assessments on your knowledge of Venetian history, landmarks and language testing in addition to a practical exam! I took the cheaper option, Varporetto - water buses. For €18, a 12-hour travel card allows you to travel getting around Venice and its surrounding. For more prices see here.

My trip to Venice was a day-trip when I was staying in Verona for a few days. I wish I could have stayed longer as one day is definitely not long enough! You can hope on and off the water buses and check out the places below.



Eating out in Venetian cafes can be terribly expensive for what you get on the plate so unless you have an unlimited budget I would suggest you find yourself a local super market and get some sandwiches and drinks then find yourself a little quiet spot by the canal and munch as you take in the scenery.

Below is Venice captured by lenses...

Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
Venice Grand Canal - Gondola Rides
Gondola Rides on the Grand Canal
Venice
Venice Ferrovia Station
Venice
Santa Maria dell Salute
Venice
Venice exploring
St Marco's Square Weekend In Venice : Gondolas, Grand Canals and Piazzas
San Marco Square
So have you been on the Grand Canal? Given the chance would you ride the Venetian Gondolas?

Please don't forget to “like” me on Facebook if you haven’t done so already! Thanks for your support!

34 comments:

  1. Venice looks beautiful but the mass tourism keeps me away from visiting it :) Nice post though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea what you are missing. If crowds kept people always then London would never have any new visitors. There are always places to see in Venice without feeling as if you need another getaway just to escape the crowds. Go see it! :)

      Delete
  2. I've been to Venice a few times and it keeps amazing me! And Axelle, you would be amazed how easy you can get away from the crowds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on this. I didnt experience too much of the crowds becuase we made the effort to see bits that werent so crowded.

      Delete
  3. Great shots, Bianca! I have not yet been to this part of Italy but really need to get there soon. What is the best season to visit Venice? Fall? I'm guessing the tourists are a little more sparse by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I do aim to please :D You should definitely check it out. Lovely place. Can be a bit expensive you buy food in the tourist populated area but for a seasoned traveller like yourself I am sure you wont fall into these obvious traps.

      Delete
  4. Just today the news was saying that they are planning to introduce a maximum capability in Venice, as there are too many tourists and the place gets trashed... incredible isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I wonder how they would even police that given the number of airlines that fly in as well as all the trains coming from around Italy not only bringing local Italians to visit but foreigners too.

      Delete
  5. Given the chance, I would definitely ride the gondolas :) These are some lovely photos - it looks like you had a very busy and enjoyable few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was definitely a lovely weekend. Would love to see Venice again soon.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous shots as usual Bianca, you are such a stylish traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've ridden a gondola at the Venetian in New York. Does htat count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! But you also have to make sure you supplement it with one from Venice :D

      Delete
  8. would love to go but also would love to go with someone that really knows it, to stay away from the tourist traps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a little research that can be achieve but if all else fails follow around one of the locals and see where they hang out.

      Delete
  9. Great photos, Venice is always a good idea!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I need another visit there soon.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos as always! Haven't been there yet but it is on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep...Definitely one of those places you must visit in a life time.

      Delete
  11. Oh the colours!! Where is that raised bridge located? I spent a week in Venice, and I had not come across it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the famous Rialto Bridge. The is a water bus station right next to it so its fairly easy to get to but mostly busy too :) - If you mean the picture towards the bottom thats near the station I think Ferro Via if I am not mistaken.

      Delete
  12. I've always wanted to see Venice, even more so after seeing these great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out. You dont even have to stay in Venice if they are hotels are too expensive. Use Verona as your base. Verona is also really beautiful too and then get on the train to Venice which is only about 2 hours on the train.

      Delete
  13. I chose not to ride the gondolas either, for the same reason. I even skipped the water taxis because they were over my budget at the time. I would take those next time I'm there, but not the gondolas. Besides, gondolas are better for pictures from the outside. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, You can certainly see Venice with taking part in the overly expensive rides.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos, Bianca! They wouldn't have been possible if they were taken from the gondola and all with similar angles ;) How could you only spend a day there! It would be so hard to leave such a stunning place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I will stick to taking pictures from the other side :P

      Delete
  15. A few years back I went to Venice with my mum for the carnival and clearly won't forget, it's a truely wonderful place!
    Thanks for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I glad you enjoyed your time there.

      Delete
  16. I've been there dozens of times (I live about a 3hr drive/4hr train ride away) and never tire of it, even if my stop is just a few hours in transit between trains. Of course there are tons of people, but it's easy to find yourself lost. By the way, for art lovers, don't miss the Peggy Guggenheim Museum on the Grand Canal. Truly an excellent collection of (mostly) 20th C art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! Yep, I would visit Venice just as much if it was that close to me. I definitely will have to check out that museum next time I am there.

      Delete
  17. Awesome! This is getting me very excited for when we hopefully visit Venice next May! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photo tour!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.