13 May 2014

Portsea Island

Spinnaker  tower, a 170-meter landmark tower PORTSMOUTH

In my last post I shared shots taken while exploring the Spitbank Fort, a man made Island off the coast of Portsea Island. Before heading out to the fort I took sometime to visit some of the old hangouts when I lived in Portsmouth. Noted for being UK's only island city as its mostly on Portsea Island. Home to more than two hundred thousand people, its easy to forget that its an island but it's separated from mainland via a small channel know as Portsbridge Creek.

Portsmouth is also home to the Spinnaker  tower, a 170-meter landmark tower with a similar design to Burj Al Arab. If you follow my Instagram you would have seen me sky walking a good 100 meter plus high up, on see-through glass!  You if you have a fear for heights then it might not be your thing as a few people were too scared to even be near the glass while on the viewing deck. A waste of the £8 entry if you ask me. If that's not enough of an adventure for you, then you can try out the abseiling on the tower, held during summer months. You have to sign up early though as the places fill fast. It appears I am not the only one who gets off on climbing things. I will have to wait until next year for that challenge.



It was like being at home again, revisiting the little hidden spots that visitors coming to Portsmouth never make it to. Taking in the views from old castles on the Southsea, sipping coffee from Gunwharf Quays which is littered with coffee shops, restaurants and designer outlets, with sea views to boot. Thankfully this was not a weekend for retail therapy and one for just relaxing and taking in the surroundings. Gunwharf Quays never fails, as this is where everyone flocks to, not just for shopping but for an evening on the town. If shopping is not your thing and you love a bit of history then there is plenty for you. Portsmouth played an important role in the preparation for D-Day. With both General Eisenhower, US 34th president and UK's most well know General, Field Marshall Montgomery all coming to this side of the global to oversee preparations for war were huge.  It still has a significant naval port and home to famous worships including HMS Warrior, Mary Rose and Lord Nelson's flagship, HMS Victory. Portsmouth still holds a naval base and walking along the coastline of the seafront you will catch a glimpse of remaining cannon artillery, D-Day museums and many of the warships mentioned are in clear view from the habour.


We drove to Portsmouth but getting there by train is easy from London as it's only an hour and fifteen minutes away. You can also get to Portsmouth via Southampton. With the train stopping in the town center and on the harbour, it makes it easy to get to Gunwharf Quays. While in Portsmouth you can also catch the ferry to Isle of Wight or even get to France from the frequent ferries leaving the ports.

So are you brave enough for the Sky Walk experience?

Spinnaker  tower, a 170-meter landmark tower - Sky View
Spinnaker  tower, a 170-meter landmark tower - Sky View
Portsea Island - Portsmouth
Portsea Island  - War Memorial
Portsea Island  - War Memorial
Portsea Island  - War Memorial

31 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic write up, but I love all the photos! I would definitely have a go walking up that Skywalk! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Glad you enjoyed the writing :)

      Delete
  2. Great pictures. I was on a skywalk in Blackpool and the first time it´s quite scary to step onto the glass bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures! i would love to do that Skywalk myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get over how similar this looks to Portsmouth New Hampshire here in the U.S. Guess that why our region is called New England ;P The sky walk looks fun. Beautiful photos and a very informative piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally right as I came across Dana Carmel's pictures at timetravelplans.net when she visited Portsmouth in New Hampshire and couldn't believe the similarities. So you definitely have to visit Portsmouth in Hampshire(UK :) ). You will feel right at home.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know they did Skywalking at Spinnaker Tower, sounds amazing!! I would love to do it too - two weeks ago I rappelled face first down a seventeen storey building in La Paz, and the experience was incredible!! Such a rush :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! Then you have to up the ante and get to the Spinnaker tower soon.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures and great writings, as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, I am glad you managed to sort out the commenting errors :)

      Delete
  7. Brilliant pics as per usual! :) We used to go here on school trips as children (pre the spinnaker tower!) to visit to the ancient boats... Haven't been for years! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then its definitely been too long. A visit is in order.

      Delete
  8. A coffee at Gunwharf Quays while looking at the sea, sights, and sounds.. where do I sign up?? Great photos too, I really like the clarity and angles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats exactly why people flock there. Glad I have you sold on a visit there someday.

      Delete
  9. I love boats and the ocean so your post was right up my alley. My particular favourite is the one of the Marine with the close up of the yacht with the green stripe on the waterline and the dark clouds on the horizon. Wonderful. My next fav is the last one - such a good shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, I love being near the water too and dont mind the boats too. If you find yourself in the UK in August they have Cowes week which is boats galore! I will be going to that and hopefully will share some pictures of that too.

      Delete
  10. Great shot of the ferry - the sky looks beautiful behind it. The war memorial looks like it's very well done and a nice monument to those who served. I would definitely be up for the Skywalk views!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great collection of photos!

    www.highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh I would totally do that! Thanks for bringing it to life:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your pictures! Looks like a wonderful city! I don't know whether or not I would freak out on the Skywalk but it certainly looks like a cool thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YesI would love to go on the Skywalk! Love the picture of the ferry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    We are doing a giveaway if you are interested. you can join
    GIVEAWAY - Black Floor Length Thigh-Slit Chiffon Dress

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to put on a cableknit sweater and dive into some seafood! What a refreshing destination and amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to try that Skywalk Experience some time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love!!!
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful place Bianca! I would love to go to the viewing deck and abseil down the tower, that kind of adventure is definitely up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  20. No Skywalk Experience for me since I'm afraid of heights! But it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great pictures and what a wonderful, blue sky! Looks like a lovely place, Bianca...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos! I have never done a skywalk experience and it looks just a bit terrifying but perhaps we will go for it here! We are planning on exploring the UK more next summer and will probably head to Portsmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow it looks amazing!!

    XX
    http://floortjeloves.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.