4 May 2013

A Roman Holiday: Part I


A Roman Holiday: Part I



Hello readers and fellow travelers! Finally I get to post this, a solid month after visiting Rome for the first and hopefully not the last time. I love Audrey Hepburn movies and have managed to see them in indoor/outdoor, cinemas. To quote Roman Polanski; "Cinema should make you forget you are sitting in a theatre". That's exactly how watching Audrey's movies make people feel. Allowing you to dream a little. A Roman Holiday is one of my favorites and having the chance run Rome and explore alla 'A Roman Holiday' (albeit every short) was just a nice little treat to chase the London weather blues away.




Scene from A Roman Holiday - Starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck

Still been a bit busy with work and my sister just survived a horrible car accident which saw her and her colleague escape with broken bones while their driver sadly left a newly engaged daughter and wife behind. In the meantime the 5-times-over-the-limit drank swine(I am really trying not to go there...) will probably get away with MURDER! That's exactly what this was...that's another post for another day.

OK! The number of photos I took have just been a little overwhelming to sort through, so I have decided that my posts on Rome will be split into 3 or 4 posts. You may also get Malta in between these posts as I am off to Malta next Sunday. Yay!

I was in Rome for only four days. Four beautiful, bright and somewhat sunny days. I have been wanting to see Rome for years and to finally see it with my very own eyes was pretty awesome. Rome has such a rich history. It's almost as if each and every building reveals a bit of history. From the Basilicas that have beautiful sculptures of apostles, angels and other religious figures, to the amazing art, to the serenity and beauty of the Vatican City gardens, to the architecture of great Roman buildings like the Colosseum and remains of the Roman Forum.


A Roman Holiday: Part I
Vatican City

A Roman Holiday: Part I
This tickled me as I sat down to freshly made breakfast. Yum!  Inside of The Yellow Cafe

A Roman Holiday: Part I
Taken from the mezzanine level of the Vatican Museum

When you imagine Italy, other that its famous landmark sites you immediately think food. Boy, did Rome deliver! Alternating various places in the short stay; stopping over for breakfast at The Yellow(part of a hostel that was across from our hotel), to dinning in the Jewish quarters at Ba Ghetto(Fried artichoke never tasted this good!!) to the dinning in the vicinity of the Travi Fountain. 

Right before the trip I was hoping I would be in Rome in time to hear and see the live announcement of the new pope  but 3 days before the flight Pope Francis was chosen. This made me even more determined not to leave Rome without paying homage to the Vatican City. Check out the pictures below and the posts to look out for.

The next series of posts will split by the following:

  • Constantine The Great - the ruler of the Roman world and how his bloodshed historical battles shaped Rome. Also touching on the Jewish quarters, the holy door  that only opens on Jubilee years at San Giovanni in Laterano to how Constantine's conversion to Christianity paved the way in giving civil rights and toleration to Christians. You will find Constantine Sculptures in many buildings around Rome.

The Arch of Constantine - Taken from the Colosseum

The Arch of Constantine

  • Colosseum - Considering they didn't have cranes in their times its amazing the complexities, height and detailing of the architecture. Roman and Greek architecture has influence many our modern buildings in and around our cities today. You will get a snap shot of the Colosseum, in and out! This is the place were people came to see fights between slaves, prisoners of war, criminals and fights with wild animals too! Crikey!!!


Inside the Colosseum


  • Vatican City - From the various pope mobiles that have been donated over the years by motoring companies, to the beautiful gardens hidden within the Vatican to the artifacts that litter the Vatican walls.

Vatican Museum - One of the pop mobiles



  • Sculptures and Fountains - I was just in awe of the beautiful sculptures that take center stage at Rome's many and each with its own story to tell. I will post pictures of some of my favorites.

The fountain of four rivers.

There is plenty to see and do in Rome wherever your eye set rest on. In the next post I will also go through how to get round Rome, the food and of course getting yourself to and from the airport so you can enjoy yourself in the great city. The pictures will so be uploaded onto Facebook sometime next week as well.

So have any of you been to Rome yet? What was your favorite part of the city?

Look out for my next post on Constantine through my pictures of Rome....

xoxo

Please don't forget to “like” me on Facebook if you haven’t done so already! Thanks for your support!

A weekend in Rome. Things to do in Rome, Visiting the Vatican City. Romes tourist sights. Getting around in Rome. Visiting the Colosseum. The Trevi Fountain, Fountain of Four Rivers, Roman Forum. Tourist sights not to miss. Top things to see in Rome.

4 comments:

  1. My sister and I have been to Rome twice with plans to return in the next year in half or so via a European cruise. And then again (budgt permitting) six months later for our 40th (we're twins) birthday in May 2015. I truly love Rome, and if I could live anywhere other than where I live now (in the USA), I'll make roots there. The pleasantries, food, and history got me the moment I set foot in Italy. If you haven't been to Florence, Italy that should be next on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your sister's accident. Glad she is okay! Rome looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to be an expat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I haven't been to Rome yet! Slightly embarrassed. I love the way your photos are in a Polaroid style, very cool.

    Love the blog, Kind Regards, Si

    ps. We would love to invite you to TheDepartureboard’s Most Travelled Club it's FREE and fun! Details here: http://www.thedepartureboard.com/can-you-become-thedepartureboards-most-travelled-you-might-win-prizes A great opportunity to promote your site as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. one day I would like to see Rome and see these places in your photos with my own eyes. love you blog too and thanks for visiting mine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.